
I went to the zoo. I like hot dogs.
The end.
I suppose to the child it truly is a great story, and perhaps also to mom and dad who are tickled pink that their child can put words together in any sort of coherent manner, even if "like" is spelled "lyk" and hot dog has nothing to do with the zoo (although, perhaps the elephant ate a hot dog at the zoo, and then it's really just a case of obscured associations). And seriously, kudos to any 6-year-old able to operate within the past tense! Still, while this cryptic version of story works for a child and tends to entertain, for adults (I am assuming, of course, that my readers are mostly adults) it falls short of a whole pie in that there is really no plot. Why have a slice when you can have it all?
In comes structure. What is the structure of story and how does it relate to a story's general degree of greatness? I think we can agree that a story that goes nowhere, with no interesting dips or peaks (or perhaps just gets to the dips and peaks too slowly for our stimulation-junkie brains) is a story we will most likely not follow beyond the first chapter. It is not interesting, it does not intrigue us. Maybe it is a good story at times, maybe it has a good message here and there, but it's nothing spectacular.
And believe me: we want spectacular!
Think of your story, your life, as an ECG. Story is best when there is action, and I don't necessarily mean Rambo look-at-my-rippling-muscles-as-I-kick-your-neck-off kind of action. I mean that there has to be a sense of momentum, a sense that the character (you) is working towards something, constantly being renewed and changed as he or she travels over high and low points in his or her life. There will be peaks: graduation from Kindergarten (and hopefully higher levels of education as well), first job with a parking spot and coffee service, marriage, kids (if you dare)...and there will be low spots too, which are equally as important as the highs. One must experience and overcome the bitter in life in order to fully appreciate the sweet!Look at the plot line to your own story...if you are flatlining and generally feeling "blah" (I know, eloquent), it's time to look into spicing things up. What can you do to create those high points to punctuate that line? It could be as little as going for a walk as the leaves change this fall, or doing things on your schedule in reverse order, just for the heck of it. Maybe it's time for something more cataclysmic, like making a major career change, or getting out of a relationship that is going nowhere and threatening your sanity.
Take the initiative...power up the paddles and give your story a little zap. Embrace conflict, the vehicle which jumpstarts story and can usually be found lurking at the base of those sought-after peaks we desire to have in our stories. I'm not saying you should necessarily seek conflict. For instance, I wouldn't suggest going out and punching some guy in the face just because. You'll only end up getting your own nose broken in the end. I suppose it may precipitate a peak of excitement in your story, but a painful one too, which may leave some serious cosmetic side effects (think Owen Wilson...although I must admit it adds to his character and charm). In embracing conflict however, meaning, in not turning tail and running in the other direction, you may embrace competition in a positive way with your colleagues and rise to the top of your game in your career. Or, maybe you'll overcome your own fears and internal debates, trying something new and absolutely rocking it. Just don't spend your life avoiding conflict...It is the hard times that truly shape us and allow us to prove to ourselves our true mettle. Embrace conflict as a means to a better end...ok, that sounds as if I am condoning violence, which I do not! But if you find yourself in a moment of conflict, learn to work through it, find creative solutions instead of walking in other directions. The rewards to your story will be monumental.
So what is great story? It depends on the individual, really, but I think it is safe to say that great story is the product of creative thinking, variety, and guts. A little out-of-the-comfort-zone and out-of-the-box thinking may be just what you need to make your story go from seriously static deliciously dynamic. Throw in some guts, try something new, and be open to change. You may just like what you see!
No comments:
Post a Comment